Monday 1 September 2014

Pavlova

Wanted to try making homemade Kaya and found it a waste to discard the whites as only the yolks are needed. So did a Google search and a Pavlova dessert came up. Intrigued by the lovely name and not done or heard this before, I googled again.


http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlova_(food)

Inspired by the history and how it tastes like marshmallow (my fav), I decided to try it.

http://www.joyofbaking.com/Pavlova.html

This is where I did further reading and watched the tutorial. I youtube-d a few more for variations. Eventually I mixed and matched what I want to do. I like the shells to be more browned and caramelized as opposed to some chefs who did theirs white. My personal preference. I like how when I gently pulled the shell, the inside is white and I like the contrast.

Modified version:
4 egg whites
90g white sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract.

Method is the same as preparing a normal meringue. Whisk till stiff peaks together with the sugar. Fold in the extract.

Spoon the meringue on a baking tray with a baking sheet. Press down a little to form the shape. I piled it like a wall so the filling can be placed better later.

Pop into a preheated oven of 180°c for 20 min till the color is browned. Then I lowered the temp to 150°c for another 15 min so the insides are baked thoroughly.

Let the shells cool after done.

Meanwhile prepare the filling. I don't feel like doing whipped cream so I tried using mascaprone and yoghurt. The guidelines for a Pavlova dessert is to have a balance of sweetness and tartness. I figured the tartness will come from the yoghurt. No measurement. I just scooped part of mascaprone and yoghurt and whisked till smooth. I scooped a dollop and spread on one of the shells to test. Sprinkle chopped kiwi and some blueberries to decorate.

Viola! And it's gooooooooood! The inside of the Pavlova did taste like marshmallow. Objective met!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.